Lieutenant General Paolo Ruggiero
Lieutenant General Paolo Ruggiero was born on September 26,
1957 in Naples. He is a graduate of the Italian Military Academy in Modena and
he was commissioned as a Field Artillery (FA) Officer on September 1, 1977.
As a junior officer he served in the "Ariete” Armoured
Division as FA Battery EXO, Battery Commander, FA Battalion S3 and S1. As a
lieutenant colonel, he commanded the 1st FA Battalion at the Field Artillery
School and as a colonel he commanded the 52nd FA Regiment "Torino”.
As a Staff Officer he has held several positions at both the
Italian Army and Defence General Staff, such as:
- Chief, Operations Office at the Army General Staff
- Chief of the Executive Office of the Chief of Italian Defence Staff
- Chief of the Executive Office of the Deputy Chief of the Army General Staff
- Chief of Staff of the Army Logistic Command
From 1997 to 2000, he was also appointed Assistant Army Attaché
in Washington D.C.
Promoted Brigadier General in 2005, he commanded the 132nd
"Ariete” Armoured Brigade. During this period, he was deployed as the Commander
of the Joint Task Force - Sector West to South Lebanon within the UNIFIL
Operation (October 2007 to May 2008). Promoted to Major General in 2009, he
commanded the Field Artillery Headquarters.
Promoted to Lieutenant General on 1st July 2014 he was
appointed Commander of the Army Command for Education, Training and School of
Applied Military studies in Turin.
From February to September 2015 he was deployed to
Afghanistan first as Chief of Staff and then as Deputy Commander for Transition
of the NATO "Resolute Support” mission.
On January 15th, 2016 he has been appointed Deputy Commander
NATO Land Command in Izmir.
Highlights of studies and courses he has attended include:
- Officer Advanced Course, at the US Army FA School in Ft. Sill, Oklahoma (1987);
- Basic and Advanced Staff Courses at the Italian Army Staff College (1991 and 1995);
- Command and General Staff Course at the US Army Command and General Staff College in Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas (1992);
He holds a Bachelor’s and a Master’s Degrees in Strategic Military Studies. His principal honorary awards include:
· Army Meritorious Gold and Silver Cross;
· Commander of the Meritorious Order of the Republic of Italy;
· Army Gold Medal for Longevity in Command;
· US Legion of Merit;
· NATO Medals for peace-keeping missions in Bosnia, Kosovo and Afghanistan;
· UN Medal for participation in the UNIFIL Mission;
· US Army Meritorious Service Medal;
· Order of the Cedar of the Republic of Lebanon;
· Medal of Multinational Cooperation (level II) of the Republic of Slovenia.
He is married to Holly Ann, and they have two daughters, Adriana and Valeria.
Lieutenant General Ruggiero enjoys running, jazz, music and history.